Malwarebytes anti-malware is already known to many users. The main thing that is good about this antivirus, in addition to protection, is the ability to work with other antivirus products, increasing the security of the system.
Versions of the program: main features
Currently, there are two versions of the application. One of them is free and is designed for non-commercial use. Another version is Malwarebytes Chameleon, with a lot of options and features, presenting you with real-time protection.
The installer for the latest version of Malwarebytes anti-malware is 9 MB in size and is easy to install, just click Next. The installer does not contain toolbars or other probably unnecessary software.
Here are the basic characteristics of both versions:
- The Malwarebytes anti-malware interface does not look very good. But everything is arranged so that even a very inexperienced user can comfortably handle the program.
- At the top of the antivirus, you will find all the menus organized as tabs.
- Malwarebytes Chameleon also has few features, but this does not mean that this program is not important for your system.
- Three types of scans available in the antivirus will allow you to search for malware in their typical places.
- It will scan the system (quick scan), any selected local drives (full scan), or check running applications.
- Instant scan is available only in the Malwarebytes Chameleon version.
- Scheduler is another benefit for Pro users who have real-time protection. It will allow you to perform updates and checks at the most convenient time for you, without loading the system.
The program used in tests only 20% of the processor resource (maximum – 45%) and about 80MB of RAM. These results are completely satisfactory considering that the system used had a 2GHz dual-core processor and 3GB of RAM.
In terms of detection rate, the MBAM scan score was small – only 64.7% (120 out of 340 malware samples were not detected). But the heuristic engine increased this result to 78%, detecting 46 more threats. It should also be noted that no viruses were found inside the archive, but after unzipping they were noticed.
Results of comparing Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Chameleon
During the test, there were no cases in which Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Chameleon detected harmless files. That is, there were no false positives, but if this happens, you can restore the file from quarantine. If you want to avoid having to do this, add the file to the blacklist so that it will be skipped when scanned in the future.
Setting up both versions of MBAM antivirus is easy. The most important part is located in the “Scan Settings” section. There, you can select the locations in which the program will search for viruses. Although the program parameters lack a lot, the options are self-explanatory. They contain settings for enabling memory objects, autorun, registry and file system. You can also enable an improved heuristic engine as an additional layer of protection.